This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1132591



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Selby

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Selby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 325718

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


THE CRESCENT 1. (north side) 5342 ------------ Church of St Mary and St Germain (Selby Abbey) SE 6132 SE 5/1 16.12.52


2. Parish Church, formerly the church of Selby Abbey, a mitred abbey, one of the three most important Benedictine houses in the north, and (traditionally) the earliest. Founded, according to tradition in 1069. Dissolved 1536. The church was begun by Abbot Hugh de Lacy (1097-1123), and from his campaign date the earlier part of the nave and transepts. The west part of the nave and the lower part of the west front appear to be late C12. The north nave gallery and the upper parts of the west front appear to be mid-C13. The chancel and some of the tracery elsewhere are of later C14 date. The tower collapsed in 1690, and was repaired circa 1701-2, probably by "Mr Hall, a local builder of some note". The church was restored in 1871-3 by Sir George Gilbert Scott, and again in 1889-90 by J Oldrid Scott. In 1906 a serious fire prompted the most drastic restoration of all, also by J Oldrid Scott, which included a new crossing tower (1908), south transept (circa 1912), and west towers (1935). The following monuments are outstanding. 1. Three mediaeval sarcophagi. The D'Arcy Tomb (south aisle): C15: badly eroded torso, on panelled tomb chest with angels holding shields. A crusader (north nave arcade): late C12 or early C13. A lady (south nave arcade): C14: under life size, with crocketed canopy and four shields. 2. Tomb slabs in south-east corner. Abbot John Shireburn (1368-1407): alabaster. Abbot Lawrence Selby (1486-1504): eroded. Abbot Barwic (1522-6) 3. Various other tomb slabs, of which the most unusual are four dated 1604, 1613 (both in south aisle), 1614 (on north transept west wall), and 1630 (on north aisle wall), which still use black letter inscriptions at this late date. Another is to Frank Raw (buried 31 March 1706), gravestone cutter (south aisle). 4. Three distinguished C17 or early C18 tablets, viz:- Richard Spencer of Leeds (1662-1690) (north aisle): skull and crossbones over. A swagger cartouche with a skull (north aisle): soft limestone: inscription obliterated. Two conjoined oral laurel wreaths framing tablets to Robert Morrit, merchant (died 22 November 1705), and Robert Morrit, his 12 year old son (died 1 May 1704). 5. The following signed neo-classical memorial slabs. To John Dobson (died 6 March 1837) and Mary Dobson (died 18 December 1847): south aisle: signed by W Bradley, Selby. To Ann Elizabeth Morrit of Cawood (died 1 December 1795): north aisle: very finely carved sarcophagus on black ground signed W Mason. To Samuel Staniland (died 28 June 1852) and Betsey Staniland (died 17 July 1852): north aisle: signed by Waudby, York. To Samuel Staniland, mariner, (died 21 April 1800), his wife Dinah (died 27 April 1809), and their sons Thomas Staniland, ship owner (died 6 January 1799), Jonathan Staniland, ship owner (died 24 September 1802), and Stephen Staniland, gentleman (died 9 November 1834): north aisle: signed by W Plows, York. To Thomas Eadon died 18 June 1835): north aisle: signed by M Taylor York. To John Audus (died 29 January 1809) and Jane Audus (died 23 December 1830) north aisle: large and fine quality, the carving suggests the later date, but the design suggests the earlier date: signed by W Plows, York. To Nicholas Smith (died 19 January 1787) and Eleanor Smith (died 6 September 1816), and other members of their family (no dates): north aisle: signed by Y Plows. York. To Morley Wharrey (died 4 September 1797), his wife Elizabeth (died 31 December 1842), and their daughter Sophia Theresa Buchanan (died 1 August 1877): north aisle: signed by W Plows, York. To the Hawdon siblings, William (died 14 December 1835), Ann (died 9 February 1855), Elizabeth (died 22 August 1825), Sarah (died 19 February 1806), Richard (died 25 October 1852): north aisle: signed by G Bailey, Hull. 6. The grave-diggers alab: south aisle: to John Archer, died 15 September 1768: with a charming doggerel inscription. 7. Various other neo-classical and some Gothic slabs. The principal furnishings are as follows:- Font: apparently C12: very plain, circular, moulded base. Font Cover: C15: wooden: very tall and elaborate: three storeys: traceried openings: crocketed gablets, pinnacles and crocketed spire. Chair: oak: "Yorkshire" type: inscribed "PO 1693 MO": scene on back appears to combine the Ascension and the Resurrection. Lectern: mid C19: brass: good. Screens, Stalls, Organ, and Pulpit: elaborate but conventional Gothic of 1906-9 by J Oldrid Scott. Hatchment: one in south aisle. Chest: mediaeval: a single piece of oak.

Listing NGR: SE6156832375

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 61568 32376


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132591 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:39:19.

End of official listing