LUMFORD MILL (ORIGINAL BUILDING ONLY)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132647

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1951

Statutory Address: LUMFORD MILL (ORIGINAL BUILDING ONLY), BUXTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LUMFORD MILL (ORIGINAL BUILDING ONLY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132647 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 05:35:52.

Location

Statutory Address: LUMFORD MILL (ORIGINAL BUILDING ONLY), BUXTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)

Parish: Bakewell

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SK 21236 69004

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BAKEWELL

SK2169 BUXTON ROAD 831-1/3/54 (North East side) 13/03/51 Lumford Mill (original building only)

GV II

Part of cotton mill now offices. Late C18 or very early C19. By Richard Arkwright for his son Richard. Deeply-coursed dressed sandstone. Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 8-window range. Large quoins. C20 wooden casements. North side: ground-floor and first-floor sill bands extend 5 bays; broad windows to ground-floor bays 1 and 2 have flat-headed segmental arches with keystones. First-floor windows of same bays have cambered arches with keystones. Rest of ground and first floor altered except window to ground-floor bay 5. Second floor: projecting sills to square-headed windows beneath eaves. Bays 7 and 8 have old masonry to lower walls. South side (facing river): small one-storey projection with stone slate roof. Upper floor windows as bays 1 and 2 of north side. Left return: matching windows to first and second floors; band across gable with round-framed recess (concealed by ivy); end stack. INTERIOR: not inspected. HISTORY: Richard Arkwright leased the site in 1777 and, after resolving difficulties over the water rights, built the mill for his son Richard. By 1821 it employed 350 people under the management of Richard and Peter Arkwright. Various later C19 owners. Main mill buildings rebuilt after a fire in 1868. (The Industrial Archaeology of the British Isles: Harris H: Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District: 1971-: 105-106).





Listing NGR: SK2123669004

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 468088

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Harris, H, Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District105-106

End of official listing