This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1132668



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Harthill with Woodall

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335784

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET SK48SE (east side, off) 4/36 Harthill Schoolhouse 29.7.66 (formerly listed as Schoolhouse)


Church schoolhouse. Rebuilt 1721 for the 2nd Rev. John Hewitt (Garbett, p129), later alterations and additions. Ashlar sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Single storey, 1 : 1 : 1 bays, taller central bay breaks forward. Plinth: projecting quoins. Blocked central doorway has unequally-hung 20-pane sash in raised ashlar surround with moulded arrises, slight cornice with rusticated panel over. Renewed casements flanking doorway have tall ashlar surrounds with projecting sills; outer bays have cross windows in similar surrounds. Central pediment has kneelers linked by band, architraved oculus and gable copings. Hipped roof with stone ridges. Rear: lean-to beneath central gable without oculus. Right return: doorway with ashlar surround and slight cornice, shuttered casement to its left. C20 lean-to addition on left return not of special interest. Garbett notes that the foundation stone was laid on 7th June 1721 and includes some building accounts from parish records. Situated in corner of churchyard to Church of All Hallows (q.v.).

H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-woodall, 1950.

Listing NGR: SK4940480946

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Garbett, H, The History of Harthill with Woodall, (1950)

National Grid Reference: SK 49405 80945


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132668 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:15:33.

End of official listing