THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132669

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 15-Oct-1986

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, UNION STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132669 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 07:23:26.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, UNION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Harthill with Woodall

National Grid Reference: SK 49381 80912

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HARTHILL WITH WOODALL UNION STREET SK48SE (east side) 4/38 The Old Rectory 29.7.66 (Formerly listed as The Rectory)

GV II

Rectory. Rebuilt c1720 for 2nd Rev John Hewitt (Garbett p.126). Ashlar sandstone, graduated Westmorland slate roof. 2 storeys with attics, 5 x 2 bays. Plinth, raised quoins. Central doorway with panelled door and overlight in bolection-moulded surround beneath segmental pediment. Other bays have unequally-hung 15-pane sashes in raised surrounds. 1st-floor band beneath 5 similar windows, central window having architrave. Eaves cornice and decorative iron gutter brackets. Hipped roof with 3 wooden roof dormers over central bays, central dormer has segmental pediment otherwise triangular pediments. Ashlar stacks to side ridges have diagonally-set chimney pots. Rear: addition to rear has 32-pane sash to stair window. Right return: C19 canted bay-window to ground-floor on left; door in addition to rear has old part-glazed door in ashlar surround beneath stone carved with lion and crown. Left return: original cross-mullioned casement to 1st floor. Interior: fine early-C18 cantilevered oak staircase with alternate barley-sugar and slender, turned balusters. At its foot a cupboard with linenfold panelling reused from old C16 rectory: 5 panels in all, 2 panels high and with carved heads over. 2 plaster roundels with cherubs to stair landing. Curved principal rafters. Attached dwelling known as Rectory Cottage not of special interest. H. Garbett, The History of Harthill-with-Woodall, 1950.

Listing NGR: SK4937980917

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335786

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Garbett, H, The History of Harthill with Woodall, (1950)

End of official listing