THE POPLARS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132691

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: THE POPLARS, UPPER WHISTON LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE POPLARS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132691 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 21:43:08.

Location

Statutory Address: THE POPLARS, UPPER WHISTON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Whiston

National Grid Reference: SK 45805 88968

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK48NE WHISTON UPPER WHISTON Upper Whiston Lane (off west side) 8/108 The Poplars - II House. Part of core late C15 or C16, rebuilt early C17 (said to have 1612 date plaque now covered over), extensive C19 and C20 alterations. Some internal timber-framing; roughcast sandstone walling, Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, 5 windows to 1st floor. Entrance front: part-glazed door to left bay with sash window to its left and casement over. Other bays with irregular C19 and C20 fenestration including small window opposite ridge stack possibly the vestige of a fire window. Bay 1 has external end stack to left, higher eaves and hipped roof. Main range has rendered end stack to right and rendered ridge stack. Left return: massive external stack to right with offsets and rebuilt brick shaft; small external stack of later date to left. Interior: main range has chamfered spine beam now incomplete. Central stack has back to back fireplaces one with early ashlar surround with shaped panels in rebate above lintel. Roof space with 5, collared, principal-rafter trusses, double purlins and evidence of former firehood louvre on north side of ridge stack (Ryder). Taller end bay is structurally a 2-bay cross-wing. Massive slab ceiling joists on soffit- morticed beam. In lst-floor front room: exposed cambered tie beam with head of one wall post. Side wall stud partition divides end bay from main range. Tudor-arched fireplace backs onto external stack. Wall posts said to remain in some corners of this bay. P. F. Ryder, notes in County Ancient Monuments and Sites Record, Sheffield, primary index No 1505.

Listing NGR: SK4580588968

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335744

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing