OAKWOOD HALL INCLUDING BALUSTRADED RETAINING WALL ATTACHED TO PORTICO

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132717

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: OAKWOOD HALL INCLUDING BALUSTRADED RETAINING WALL ATTACHED TO PORTICO, MOORGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of OAKWOOD HALL INCLUDING BALUSTRADED RETAINING WALL ATTACHED TO PORTICO
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132717 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 18:58:35.

Location

Statutory Address: OAKWOOD HALL INCLUDING BALUSTRADED RETAINING WALL ATTACHED TO PORTICO, MOORGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 43625 90959

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK49SW ROTHERHAM MOORGATE ROAD (west side, off) 5/59 Oakwood Hall including balustraded retaining wall attached to portico - II Large house with attached wall, now offices of Rotherham Health Authority. 1856-59 for James Yates. Coursed, dressed sandstone, Welsh slate roof. Double-pile plan with contemporary wing to right, set back; various additions to rear. 2 storeys, 1:3:1 bays. Plinth. Central part breaks forward and has band-rusticated ashlar walling to ground floor. 4-pane sashes throughout. Stone steps to colonnaded Doric portico with paired front columns, plain frieze and mutule cornice surmounted by balustrade with end dies and gadrooned urns. 2-bay returns of portico have attached single columns, entablature and balustrade as front (no urns). Entablature returns above flanking windows of central part; balustrade cornice returns as sill band to lst-floor windows which have sill blocks and shouldered and eared architraves. Outer bays have shouldered and eared architraves to windows of each floor. lst-floor band and lst-floor sill band. Modillioned eaves cornice surmounted by balustrade with dies. Hipped roof with corniced stacks flanking central lantern, matching ridge stack to right. Wing to right, set back, comprises 2-bay link-block to 3-storey tower, archivolts to ground-floor windows, tower with hipped roof and cruciform stack. Returns of main range each have canted 2-storey bay. Curved retaining walls attached to each side of portico have balustrades with dies surmounted by gadrooned urns. Interior : inner entrance hall with tiled and marble floor; cantilevered staircase with cast-iron balustrade; arcaded landing. James Yates was a notable Rotherham industrialist being a partner of the Yates and Haywood foundry. C19 directories show that he had moved from Carr House to Oakwood Hall by 1859. Oakwood Hall served as a hospital during and after the 1914-18 war.

Listing NGR: SK4362590959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335694

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing