This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE FACTORY SHOP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE FACTORY SHOP

List entry Number: 1132723

Location

THE FACTORY SHOP, 15, VICARAGE LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335710

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK4292 ROTHERHAM VICARAGE LANE (south side) 9/74 No 15 (The Factory Shop) GV II House now shop. Early-mid C19. Red brick in Flemish bond, Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys; 3 x 3 bays; occupies corner site. Main front: pedimented central bay breaks forward. C20 shop windows to full width of ground floor, corner entrance to left. Chamfered ashlar quoins to upper storeys, projection also quoined. 1st floor: sill band with moulded soffit. Sashes with glazing bars in architraves with moulded sills on shaped brackets. 2nd floor: shorter unequally-hung 9-pane sashes with less ornate bracketed sills. Shaped brackets on table beneath boxed oversailing eaves. Left end of roof hipped. Left return: C20 shop front to ground floor. Upper floors as front but without pedimented break. Built on site of old vicarage immediately adjacent to Church of All Saints (q.v.). Shown as Mechanics' Institute on 1851 O.S. map. Later formed the 'Caxton Works' premises of the Rotherham Advertiser first published on January 2nd 1858. Included for group value. Rotherham Annual, 1908 (illustrated without shop front).

Listing NGR: SK4288492852

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Rotherham Annual' in Rotherham Annual, (1908)
'Rotherham Advertiser' in 2 January, (1858)

National Grid Reference: SK 42877 92852

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132723 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 05:52:44.

End of official listing