CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1132728

Date first listed: 29-Mar-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132728 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 03:06:36.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Treeton

National Grid Reference: SK 43251 87709

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK48NW TREETON CHURCH LANE (north-east side) 7/88 Church of St. Helen 29.3.68 GV I Church. C12 north arcade and lower part of tower, otherwise late C13 and early C14 with C15 additions of south chapel, south porch, west bay of nave and clerestorey, present roofs and upper stage of tower. Restored 1869 and 1892, C19 vestry extended 1973. Rubble and ashlar sandstone, some limestone dressings and ashlar limestone upper stage to tower; lead roofs. 3-stage south-west tower; 3-bay nave with 2-bay aisles, south porch and north-west vestry additions; 3-bay chancel with 2-bay south chapel. Tower: rubble walling to lower stages; lancet west window, string course with 3 slit windows set in-line above; clock on east side. Weathered string course beneath Perpendicular upper stage with transomed 2-light belfry openings, string course with water spouts beneath embattled parapet with crocketed pinnacles. Nave: gabled porch has renewed pointed doorway, older hoodmould, cuboid apex finial. South door within has single order of shafts with waterleaf capitals and moulded segmental arch. Bay to right has buttress to right of renewed 3-light window with reticulated tracery; string course beneath coped parapet with pinnacles. North aisle: two 2-light windows in double-chamfered surrounds, east window with trefoil-headed light. West end of nave has diagonal buttress to left; chamfered plinth and wave-moulded band interrupted by west door; 3-light, Tudor-arched, west window has hoodmould with carved-head stops. Square- headed clerestorey windows of 2 cusped lights; embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Chancel: chamfered plinth and band; angle buttresses. Central buttress to north side with, to its west, a renewed 3-light window with reticulated tracery, pointed priest's door and early 2-light window with trefoil-headed lights and small hoodmould. Similar early windows to each side of easternmost bay. Moulded copings to parapet embattled at east end above 3-light window with reticulated tracery. South chapel with chamfered plinth, wave-moulded band, diagonal buttress and buttress between two 3-light, square-headed windows with cusped lights. Parapet as aisle. Interior: north arcade has one octagonal pier with moulded capital; round arches with single step. Other arches double-chamfered and pointed, south aisle on quatrefoil pier with foliate-carved capital and nailhead motif to abacus. Blocked doorway in north side of tower has shouldered lintel. Erect effigy of knight built into nave west wall, medieval grave slab against east wall behind pulpit. Cl4 sedilia with half-arch at west end interrupted by opening to south chapel. Trefoil-headed piscina, restored. Good roofs throughout, moulded and with cambered tie beams and carved bosses; in chancel, arch braces spring from carved angels. Fittings: C17 panelling forms dado to nave and aisles, carved dates from c1630. Cl6 bench ends to pew in nave with 2 tiers of traceried panels, back rail with Latin inscription. Screen to south chapel partly Cl7, records restoration in memory of Rev. Watkins, 1892; another early pew within south chapel.

Listing NGR: SK4325087708

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335724

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing