WALKER MAUSOLEUM AND RAILED ENCLOSURE WITH OBELISKS AND END PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132740

Date first listed: 03-Jul-1974

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Feb-1986

Statutory Address: WALKER MAUSOLEUM AND RAILED ENCLOSURE WITH OBELISKS AND END PIERS, CHAPEL WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALKER MAUSOLEUM AND RAILED ENCLOSURE WITH OBELISKS AND END PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 23:33:10.

Location

Statutory Address: WALKER MAUSOLEUM AND RAILED ENCLOSURE WITH OBELISKS AND END PIERS, CHAPEL WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 42256 92905

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK4292 ROTHERHAM CHAPEL WALK (south side, off), Masbrough 9/16 Walker Mausoleum and railed enclosure with obelisks and end piers (formerly 3.7.74 listed as Walker Mausoleum, under College Road) GV II Mausoleum. Probably early C19. For the Walker family. Ashlar sandstone, graduated slate roof. Small, square, single-storey building in much-altered enclosure retaining end piers to front and obelisks to front corners. Mausoleum: plinth, projecting quoins. Simple freestanding urns flank renewed 6-panel door in architrave with plain consoles to solid, shallow pediment. Moulded eaves cornice with antefixae and blocking course peaked over door and with Walker emblem carved in relief. Hipped roof with renewed ridge tiles. Window in architrave and with closed shutter to each other side; ashlar blocking course and antefixae to left return only. Interior: (not available for inspection) retains memorial tablets to the Walker family. Square piers flanking front door have moulded plinths, monolithic shafts and gable-shaped caps; plain iron railings link to corner obelisks set on pedestals which match piers. It is uncertain whether this is the 'Monument to our good father' put up in 1784 by the family of Samuel Walker (Guest p489). In style it appears to be later. J. Guest, Historic Notices of Rotherham, 1879.

Listing NGR: SK4225692905

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335648

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guest, J, Historic Notices of Rotherham, (1879)

End of official listing