This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

REMAINS OF CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE SITUATED IMMEDIATELY TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: REMAINS OF CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE SITUATED IMMEDIATELY TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

List entry Number: 1132779

Location

REMAINS OF CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE SITUATED IMMEDIATELY TO NORTH OF CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Dec-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335536

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK49NE SWINTON CHURCH STREET (north side, off)

6/27 Remains of Chapel of St. Mary Magdalene 11.12.53 situated immediately to north of Church of St. Margaret (formerly listed as Base of two Norman arches in corner of Vicarage Field)

GV II

Remains of chapel. c1200, demolished 1815 and now incorporated in church-yard wall. Ashlar sandstone with some limestone details; all badly eroded. Jambs of chancel arch and of south doorway survive to impost level set within L-shaped section of wall. Chancel arch: quoined opening; each jamb with 2 orders of projecting half-round mouldings to each side. Badly-weathered capitals. South doorway: fragmentary survival of 2 orders of colonnettes flank moulded rib. Traces of zig-zag carving to weathered capitals.

Listing NGR: SK4522099388

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 45220 99388

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 03:21:28.

End of official listing