This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1132786

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rotherham

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 13-Nov-1962

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335551

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE40SW WATH UPON DEARNE CHURCH STREET (north side)

2/42 Church of All Saints

13.ll.62 GV I

Church. C12 north arcades within earlier walling, lower part of tower also C12; nave and chancel rebuilt and added to in C13 and C14; tower heightened C14 or C15; nave re-roofed 1540; spire replaced 1714 restored and enlarged 1868 and 1920; C20 addition to north-east corner. Sandstone rubble to lower part of tower and to north chapel, otherwise ashlar. Lead roof to nave; tiles to chancel and aisles; stone slates to north chapel. West tower; 3½-bay aisled nave with south porch; 3-bay chancel with south organ chamber; north chapel with west aisle all roofed at right angles to main axis, north vestry. Tower: door on south side dated 1868. Band rises over door; stone clock face to right. Offset band and string course beneath clock. Blocked, round-arched, 2-light former belfry openings. 2-light Perpendicular belfry openings. Corner gargoyles and renewed, embattled parapet with crocketted pinnacles. Recessed octagonal spire. Nave: south porch: chamfered plinth and wave-moulded bandy buttresses flank double-quadrant- moulded doorway; raking parapet; rib-vaulted roof. Aisle has chamfered plinth and buttress between two 2-light windows with Y-tracery and hoodmoulds. Embattled parapet. Clerestorey: four 2-light windows all double-chamfered and square-headed. Embattled parapet. North aisle: plinth and wave-moulded band; buttresses between bays; two square-headed windows with ogee-headed lights; doorway to right. Chancel: C19 and C20 organ chamber breaks forward, has two 2-light Y-tracery windows; embattled parapet. Chancel south wall has lancet within rubble walling. East end of chancel rebuilt c1920: snecked wallstone; 5-light east window in Perpendicular style; coped gable with cross. North chapel: buttresses to angles and beneath north window. East wall has lancets flanking 2-light Y-tracery window, all with hoodmoulds. North window of 4 lancets beneath quatrefoil, hoodmould. Doorway and lancet to north end of west aisle; diagonal buttress to right.

Interior: double-chamfered, pointed tower arch on semicircular responds with moulded capitals. North arcade: circular piers, scalloped capitals, cross-shaped abaci and round arches with single step. Restored doorway at east end with blocked rood door over. South arcade pointed and double- chamfered with ½ arch at west end. Splendid roof of 1540: cambered tie beams, bosses now painted and gilded. Chancel arch double-chamfered. 2-bay arcade to north chapel as nave north arcade; piscina in eastern respond. North chapel: west arcade with quatrefoil pier and keeled north respond

Fittings: C19 benefactions board beneath tower. In nave: 2 brass chandeliers dated 1810, gift of Thomas Tuke. Chancel north wall: 1728 wall monument to George Ellis (d.1712). North chapel: 5 reused bench ends with running inscription including name 'John Saville' and dated 1576. Baluster-shaped font of 1726 with acanthus carving and Greek palindrome; turned-wood cover with iron handle and dove finial. Brass of 1767 on north wall. C14 parish chest. Other fittings mostly C19 including stone reredos of 1870 depicting Christ and two disciples in ogee-headed niche. Stained glass of 1892 by Clayton and Bell in north aisle and east windows of chapel.

C. Ibbetson, The Story of the Church and Parsons of the Ancient Parish of All Saints Wath upon Dearne, 1979.

Listing NGR: SE4325400884

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ibbetson, C , The Story of the Church and Parsons of the Ancient Parish of All Saints Wath Upon Dearne, (1979)

National Grid Reference: SE 43253 00888

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132786 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 04:06:53.

End of official listing