HOOBER STAND

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132812

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: HOOBER STAND, LEE BROOK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOOBER STAND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132812 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 03:11:52.

Location

Statutory Address: HOOBER STAND, LEE BROOK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Brampton Bierlow

National Grid Reference: SK 40747 98545

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK49NW BRAMPTON BIERLOW LEE BROOK LANE (south side)

5/6 Hoober Stand (formerly listed as Hoober Stand (memorial) 29.4.52 Hoober) GV II*

Monument. 1747-1749. By Henry Flitcroft. For Thomas Watson Wentworth, 1st Marquis of Rockingham. Sandstone ashlar. Massive triangular tower tapering from perpendicular base to corbelled parapet; rounded angles. Central hexagonal cupola covers emerging internal stone staircase. Total height approximately 30 metres. South elevation: plinth; tripartite keystone to flat-arched central doorway (boarded-up); projecting surround with impost band to round arch; band beneath lead-lettered marble panel in ashlar surround flanked by consoles and with cornice. Vertically-set and centrally- placed window part way up tower has remains of iron casement in round-arched pedimented surround; similar window above with damaged sill and pediment missing. Corbel-table to parapet. Iron-railed balustrade encloses remains of 3 sundials set at each angle and the ashlar-domed cupola. Left return has single window, right return has 2 windows; all as south front.

Erected to commemorate the quelling of the Jacobite rebellion in 1745 but also in homage to George II following the elevation of Lord Malton to the position of Marquis of Rockingham. Inscription on marble panel reads: 1748 This Pyramidall Building was Erected by his MAJESTY'S most Dutyfull Subject THOMAS, Marquess of Rockingham & ca In Grateful Respect to the Preserver of our Religion Laws and Libertys KING GEORGE THE SECOND.......

An important landscape feature of the Wentworth estate and notable local landmark.

Listing NGR: SK4074798545

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335514

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing