THE EARL OF STRAFFORD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132816

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Aug-1985

Statutory Address: THE EARL OF STRAFFORD, DONCASTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE EARL OF STRAFFORD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132816 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Dec-2018 at 07:13:23.

Location

Statutory Address: THE EARL OF STRAFFORD, DONCASTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Rotherham (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Hooton Roberts

National Grid Reference: SK 48358 97044

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK49NE HOOTON ROBERTS DONCASTER ROAD (north-west side)

6/13 The Earl of Strafford (formerly listed as 29.4.52 Manor House)

GV II

Manor house (as shown on 0. S. map) now public house and restaurant. Late C16 or early C17 extensively rebuilt in late C18 and renovated c1983-84. Irregularly-coursed sandstone rubble, stone slate roof partly replaced by C20 tiles, brick stacks. 3-bay, double-pile, central block with single-bay wing to each side. 2 storeys with single-storey additions to left return. Entrance front: quoins. Early C19 stone porch to left of central block has bracketed cornice and peaked blocking course. 2 windows to right and 3 to 1st floor, all unequal 15-pane sashes in square-faced surrounds. Similar ground- floor window in wing to left. Wing to right: altered tripartite window now with inserted doorway in widened left light. Tripartite window to 1st floor. Hipped roofs with end stacks, stack to ridge of left wing and to centre of main block. Garden front: extensive traces of C16 or C17 work. To right of central block: infilled Tudor-arched doorway beneath blocked 2-light, ovolo-moulded, mullioned window, both now cut into by C19 architrave to glazed door and window opening. lst-floor band truncated to left by 2 three-light, ovolo-moulded mullioned windows with iron casements and leaded lights. Above, 2 three-light mullioned and transomed stair-windows with leaded lights incorporating 2 stained glass heraldic emblems (one badly damaged). To right, an infilled ovolo-moulded surround and 2 other similar surrounds now infilled and housing sashes in square-faced surrounds.

Interior: retains some Tudor-arched ashlar doorways in wing to left.

Previous list description states: 'Lady Strafford, third wife of the first Earl, lived here from 1641 until her death in 1688, together with her only daughter Margaret who died 1681'.

J. Hunter, 'South Yorkshire: The History and Topography of the Deanery of Doncaster , vol 1, 1828, p400

Listing NGR: SK4835897044

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335522

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hunter, J, South Yorkshire The History and Topography of the Deanery of Don, (1828), 400

End of official listing