ROLLING MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1132839

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1976

Date of most recent amendment: 25-Jun-1999

Statutory Address: ROLLING MILL, LOW MATLOCK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROLLING MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132839 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 19:55:22.

Location

Statutory Address: ROLLING MILL, LOW MATLOCK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Sheffield (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Bradfield

National Grid Reference: SK3095489427

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 38 NW 564/14/48 24.6.76

BRADFIELD LOW MATLOCK LANE (South side), Little Matlock Rolling Mill

II*

Steel rolling mill. Dated 1882, rebuilt on existing foundation after flood of 1864. Coursed, squared gritstone, slate roof. Large rectangular building incorporated within later brick extensions. End gable has projecting quoins and round-headed window with keystone now obscured by lean-to roof. Central date plaque with band above. Right return: 3 sets of paired windows with square-faced surrounds and projecting sills, mostly unglazed. To right: a large overshot water wheel, now immobile, with 8 cast-iron spokes to each side and 42 buckets. Above it, a sectional cast-iron pentrough supported by a cast-iron stanchion. In the adjacent wall a blocked shouldered-lintel opening formerly allowed access to the wheel from inside the works. Wheel used until c1956. Dam and tail-race survive. Interior: massive flywheel now powered by electric motor. C19 4-stand in-line rolling mill still in use. The wheel is the largest example of its type to survive in Sheffield.

Listing NGR: SK3095489427

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 335371

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing