This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

UNDERBANK CHAPEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNDERBANK CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1132859

Location

UNDERBANK CHAPEL, STANNINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Bradfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Apr-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335419

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK28NE BRADFIELD STANNINGTON ROAD (north side)

13/96 Underbank Chapel 25/4/69 GV II

Unitarian Chapel. 1742-43, C19 and C20 interior. Coursed, squared sandstone, ashlar dressings, stone slate roof with central lead flat. 6 by 3 bays, symmetrical facades. 2 storeys. Plinth, projecting quoins, C18 panelled doors to bays 2 and 5 in matching ashlar surrounds with plinth blocks, monolithic jambs, deep stone lintels with projecting keystones and cornices. Bays 1 and 6 have a single light window to each floor all in square-faced surrounds with sill blocks, Central 2 bays each have a tall round-headed window in square-faced surrounds with sill blocks, impost blocks and tripartite keystones. Keyed oculus above each door. Moulded eaves cornice forms gutter. Hipped roof with ashlar stack to left of bay 1. Right return: 2-light square-faced mullion window to each bay on each floor, casements with glazing bars, Left return: 2 tall windows inserted, original central openings blocked. Interior: gallery to east end. In 1867 the pulpit was moved from the south wall to the west and original galleries to 3 sides removed. Further alterations in 1921 and 1952,

C. F. Stell, 'Underbank Chapel, Stannington', Archaeological Journal vol 137, 1980 pp455-6

Listing NGR: SK2961788672

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Archaeological Journal' in Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 137, (1980), 455-6

National Grid Reference: SK 29628 88680

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 07:05:13.

End of official listing