This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DWARRIDEN CRUCK BARN, APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF JUNCTION WITH RUSHY LANE AND MILL LANE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DWARRIDEN CRUCK BARN, APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF JUNCTION WITH RUSHY LANE AND MILL LANE

List entry Number: 1132876

Location

DWARRIDEN CRUCK BARN, APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF JUNCTION WITH RUSHY LANE AND MILL LANE, DWARRIDEN LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sheffield

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Bradfield

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 08-Aug-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 335357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK25839561 BRADFIELD DWARRIDEN LANE SK29SE

4/34 Dwarriden Cruck Barn, approximately 200m south-east of junction with Rushy Lane and Mill Lane.

II

Barn. Probably C17, south gable rebuilt C20. Internal timber framing, dry-walled thinly-coursed sandstone, stone slate roof. One cruck bay with additional bay to north bounded by stone gable, both bays aisled to the east side. Plinth, very long quoins. South gable has large opening with mortared quoins and wood lintel. 2 mortared buttresses to west wall. Square vents to north gable. Interior: 2 cruck pairs, lofty and set on high stylobates on the aisle side and raised within the walling on the west side. Western blades have slight ogee profile. Wall posts rise from the eastern blades to support a soffit-morticed arcade plate. Tie beams above purlin level, Southern pair also has wall tie, Northern pair has halvings for spurs (one spur present) and halvings for a low tie beam, Single purlin with additional purlin to aisle, some windbraces, square-set ridge on saddle apex. Truncation of the south end of the building evidenced by empty scarf joint to arcade plate. Illustrated in C. F. Innocent, The Development of English Building Construction, 1916 p49.

Listing NGR: SK2583895612

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Innocent, CF , The Development of English Building Construction, (1916), 49

National Grid Reference: SK 25838 95612

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:56:22.

End of official listing