32, KIRKGATE, 1, PICCADILLY BD1

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1132926

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: 1, PICCADILLY BD1

Statutory Address: 32, KIRKGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 32, KIRKGATE, 1, PICCADILLY BD1
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132926 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 21:38:52.

Location

Statutory Address: 1, PICCADILLY BD1

Statutory Address: 32, KIRKGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 16366 33220

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 PICCADILLY BD1 (west side)

No 1 SE 1633 SW 36/955

II GV

2. Includes No 32 Kirkgate. Corner site with Kirkgate. Built as the Exchange Rooms in 1828. A Greek Revival design considerably altered on ground floor with C18 shop fronts. Sandstone ashlar, 2-storeys with cornice and deep blind attic. Windows contained in vertical panels. Pediment applied to attic over entrance bay with pilaster framed first floor window. Recessed porch with flanking pilasters and Greek Doric columns in antis, deep entablature with 2 laurel wreaths. Narrow splayed-corner. Kirkgate front has applied pediment to attic supported by pilaster strip frame and 2 pairs of pilasters rising from blind balustrade across first floor. Later glazing to windows. Important corner site. Much altered. Included as the only public building remaining from the early C19 and indicative of the new status of Bradford in its rapid evolution from market town to city consequent on the industrialisation of the textile trade.

Listing NGR: SE1635233219

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 337004

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing