CHURCH HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1132940
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE, NORTH PARADE BD1

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132940 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2019 at 15:09:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH HOUSE, NORTH PARADE BD1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 16172 33431

Details

1. 5111 NORTH PARADE BD1

Church House SE 1633 SW 36/899

II GV

2. Built as the Church Institute 1871-73, architects Andrews and Pepper. A large and very boldly detailed facade in a free interpretation of French Gothic. Ashlar sandstone 5 bay front to hall on 3 storeys with emphasis on large second floor pointed arcade of 2 light shafted plate traceried windows. Projecting heads in roundels to outer spandrels, corbelled shafts supporting heavy carved corbel-bases intended for statues, large pinnacled canopies above, Moulded bracketed cornice and pierced parapet. Central tall gabled dormer with flanking and crowning pinnacles. Mullioned windows to mezzanine first floor, gargoyles to end bays, Flanking shafted portals on ground floor, modern shop front inserted between.

Listing NGR: SE1617233431

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336939
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05664/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Palliser. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].