BOWLING DYEWORKS ALMEHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1132972
Date first listed:
09-Aug-1983
Statutory Address:
BOWLING DYEWORKS ALMEHOUSES, 171-189, NEW CROSS STREET BD5

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOWLING DYEWORKS ALMEHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132972 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 02:03:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOWLING DYEWORKS ALMEHOUSES, 171-189, NEW CROSS STREET BD5

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Trident
National Grid Reference:
SE 16742 31191

Details

1. 5111 NEW CROSS STREET West Bowling BD5

Nos 171 to 189 (odd) (Bowling Dyeworks Almshouses) SE 13 SE 9/885

II

2. First built at the top of Springwell Street in 1857 by Mr and Mrs Edward Ripley, the family who founded one of the largest dyeworks in Europe, the almshouses were moved to their present site in 1881, four new ones being added at the same time. A symmetrical range of 2 storey almshouses in a restrained Jacobean style. Fine quality dressed sandstone "brick". The end houses break forward slightly, gabled with weathered saddlestones and kneelers. Intervening houses have single window fronts grouped in pairs, the first floor windows treated as gabled semi-dormers. Small corbel table to eaves. Weathered first floor sill course. Slate roofs, prominent, corniced, chimney stacks. Windows throughout are 2 light thin chamfered mullion casements. Drip moulds over first floor windows of end houses. Paired doorways, except for end houses, 4-centred arches with drip moulds raised over oak leaf carved panels. Original date stones reset following re-erection.

Listing NGR: SE1674231191

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336923
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05663/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr J A Lowes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].