72 and 74 Market Street, with front garden wall and railings to 74

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1132988
Date first listed:
04-Sep-1952
Statutory Address:
72 and 74, Market Street BD13

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1132988.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jun-2021 at 10:16:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
72 and 74, Market Street BD13

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 10067 32756

Summary

House built in 1802, home to the Bronte family 1815-20, being the birthplace of the Bronte Sisters: Charlotte 1816, Emily 1818 and Anne 1820.

Reasons for Designation

Numbers 72 and 74 Market Street is listed grade II* for the following principal reasons:

* Association: as the birthplace of the celebrated C19 novelists Charlotte, Emily and Anne Bronte;

* Date: as a good example of a small, early C19 townhouse.

History

The house was built in 1802 and was the home of Patrick and Maria Bronte from 1815 when Patrick was curate at the church of St James in Thornton until 1820 when the family moved to Haworth. The house was the birthplace of their four youngest children: Charlotte (1816-55), Bramwell (1817-48), Emily Jane (1818-48) and Anne (1820-49). By the mid C19 the house was extended to form a shop. The property was renovated in the late 1990s because it was the birth place of the Bronte sisters.

Details

House, 1802, home to the Bronte family 1815-20 and birth place of Charlotte, Emily and Anne. Projecting shop (no.72) added mid C19.

MATERIALS: thin coursed sandstone used similar to brick, sandstone dressings and stone slate roof.

PLAN: central entrance plan with a single storey shop projecting forwards from the right, (east) bay.

EXTERIOR: this is a small, two storey, three bay house that is attached to the flanking properties to the sides. The symmetrical frontage has large square windows divided into paired lights with central stone mullions, the window above the central door being a single light. All of these windows have plain stone surrounds and 2-over-2 sashes. The central door has a similar plain surround, but also has a moulded cornice supported by simple console brackets. The eves is corniced, this being supported by small, paired modillion brackets. The mid-C19 projecting bay is canted to the west with a doorway set in the corner. Facing the street to the south is a large shop window with a 3-over-3 sash and a folding awning, all protected by a moulded stone cornice supported by moulded consoles.

INTERIOR: not inspected.

SUBSIDARIES: extending to the left (west) of the front door, enclosing a small front garden, is a wall topped by short, wrought iron railings with fleur de lis and honeysuckle heads.

Listing NGR: SE1006732756

This listing was enhanced in 2016 to mark the bicentenary of Charlotte Bronte’s birth. This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 9 March 2021 to reformat the text to current standards

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
336869
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04217/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].