This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1133000

Location

THE OLD MANOR HOUSE, LOWER WYKE LANE BD12

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336802

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 LOWER WYKE LANE (west side) Wyke BD12 The Old Manor House SE 1526 66/120 4.9.52 SE 1525 68/120

II*

2. Fine West Riding Hall, of a type more akin to the Halifax manor houses. The house was built by the Empsall family, yeomen of Wyke for over three centuries. The oldest part to the rear has the centre portion dated 1614 and was erected by E Empsall. In 1694 the house was virtually doubled in size, towards the road, by J A Empsall. Two storeys, irregular L plan, large coursed blocks of gritstone. Stone slate roofs with saddlestones to gables, large kneelers to 1614 part; decorated finials to gables of 1694 addition. Chamfered mullion windows in deep splayed reveals with drip moulds over, 3, 5 and 6 and 7 lights to 1694 part. Double gables to south front. Two light stair window retains original leaded glazing and a round headed window dated 1687. Four centred arch doorway. Blocked oval window above eastern doorway. External chimney stack with offsets to west end. C17/C18 large corniced chimneys, one with round headed panels to shaft. Interior retains exposed chamfered ceiling beads and joists. Oak stud partitions to north side rooms on ground floor. Massive arched fireplace next to 1687 window. On the first floor some stud partitioning still in situ. Massive collar truss roof partly boxed in. In the early part of this century some careful restoration work was carried out particularly to the eastern part of the house. (Ambler: "Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire").

Listing NGR: SE1523525988

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913)

National Grid Reference: SE 15235 25988

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 09:27:48.

End of official listing