THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1133063

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: 24, BANK STREET

Statutory Address: 8 AND 10, PIECE HALL YARD

Statutory Address: THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 7, HUSTLEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 11:20:28.

Location

Statutory Address: 24, BANK STREET

Statutory Address: 8 AND 10, PIECE HALL YARD

Statutory Address: THE NATIONAL WESTMINSTER BANK, 7, HUSTLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 16375 33155

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 HUSTLERGATE BD1

No 7 SE 1633 SW 36/685 (The National Westminster Bank)

II*

2. Includes No 24 Bank Street and Nos 8 and 10 Piece Hall Yard. Important corner site with fronts to Bank Street and Piece Hall Yard. Built as the Bradford Commercial Bank and completed to the designs of Andrews and Pepper in 1868. Elaborate Gothic with mid C13 detail, complementing the Wool Exchange. Two-storeys and attics, millstone grit ashlar with sandstone and polished granite dressings. The corner is emphasised by a square 3-storey tower with a pierced, pinnacled, parapet and surmounted by a steep truncated slate roof with large lucarne dormers and wrought iron cresting. The windows and doors have pink or grey granite shaft colonettes, the foliate capital mouldings continued as impost bands. Drip moulds on head stops. The first floor windows are of 2-lights with quatrefoils piercing the tympani. The first floor windows on the corner tower have applied crocketed gables and give onto pierced stone balconies. Above the first floor is a corbelled pierced stone parapet with sharply gabled dormers set behind. The banking hall has a corbelled vaulted ceiling divided into panels decorated with Coats of Arms.

Listing NGR: SE1637533155

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 336668

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing