This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

RAWSON HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: RAWSON HOTEL

List entry Number: 1133067

Location

RAWSON HOTEL, JOHN STREET BD1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336679

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 JOHN STREET BD1

Rawson Hotel SE 1633 SW 36/690

II

2. 1899, the surviving corner block of the old Rawson Market, started in 1871 by Lockwood and Mawson and extended in 1899 by Hope and Jondine, architects of the Technical College. Quadrant corner with Rawson Place. Gaisby Rock ashlar elevations, one bay to Rawson Place, 3 to John Street. The corner is emphasised by a 5-storey circular tower, the top stage consisting of a drum with 4 pairs of Corinthian columns, the entablatures surmounted by urns and a finely balanced masonry dome above with a cupola lantern. The tall 3-storey and attic flanking elevations have giant Corinthian columns with block banding to base of shafts. Shallow canted bay windows on first floor and large lunette window above segmental portal entrance. Pedimented dormers in parapet with urns in line with columns below. The windows are stone mullioned. Important corner site, listed in particular for the contribution made by the tower to the townscape.

Listing NGR: SE1614733337

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 16147 33337

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133067 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 04:29:40.

End of official listing