THE YORKSHIRE SPORTS, TELEGRAPH AND ARGUS BUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133120

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1963

Statutory Address: THE YORKSHIRE SPORTS, TELEGRAPH AND ARGUS BUILDING, HALL INGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE YORKSHIRE SPORTS, TELEGRAPH AND ARGUS BUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 09:05:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE YORKSHIRE SPORTS, TELEGRAPH AND ARGUS BUILDING, HALL INGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 16516 32962

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 HALL INGS BD1

The Yorkshire Sports, Telegraph

and Argus Building SE 1632 46/134 14.6.63

II

2. The first Italian palazzo front in Bradford, a large home trade warehouse designed by Andrews and Delanney 1851-53 for the drapery firm of Milligan and Forbes (both partners served as mayors of Bradford). Five-storeys, ashlar sandstone elevation to Hall Ings with strong horizontal emphasis provided by the horizontal grooving of the ground floor and the moulded sill bands and balustraded stone balconies on the first floor. Dentil enriched, deep modillion bracket eaves cornice, Chamfered rusticated quoins. Pilaster framed groumd floor windows, flanking strips first floor, with console brackets supporting broken entablatures with enriched friezes, the cornices serving as broken forward sills to the second floor windows which have archivolt arches surmounted by triangular bracketed pediments; very elongated shallow consoles used as pilaster strips flanking square architrave surround top floor windows. The rear elevation has similar details but is of 4-storeys only and due to closer window spacing the decorative features are applied only to alternate windows. Important site adjacent to St George's Hall.



Listing NGR: SE1651632962

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 336530

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing