This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER SION CHAPEL AND PRESBYTERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER SION CHAPEL AND PRESBYTERY

List entry Number: 1133122

Location

FORMER SION CHAPEL AND PRESBYTERY, HARRIS STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Mar-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336534

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 HARRIS STREET BD1

28.3.74 Former Sion Chapel SE 1733 35/151 - and Presbytery SE 1633 SE 37/151

II

2. Now an Italian Club. Dated 1873, by Lockwood and Mawson for the Baptists. Contemporary with the architects Town Hall but here employing a rich Italianate classical style. Two-storeys sandstone ashlar, a large rectangular plan chapel extending back along Peckover Street with presbytery occupying far end of site. 1:3:1 bay front. Engaged, richly carved Corinthian portico with central columns and terminal pilasters backed by ΒΌ pilasters, deep entablature and modillion bracketed pediment with acrotaria. The entablature is carried over one window slightly recessed flanking bays with giant Corinthian quoin pilasters. Three panelled doors to portico with broad pilasters supporting entablature at first floor level. First floor windows in shouldered moulded architraves with small pediments and carved apron panels. Carved scrolled lead decoration to circular date panel in tympanum of portico pediment. One bay similar return to Peckover Street and plain sandstone brick side range up to presbytery. This has a 2-storey elevation of 7 bays with sill bands and bracketed eaves cornice. Slate roof, corniced chimneys. Recessed sills with apron panels, the reveals carried down to sill band on first floor. Panelled door with rectangular fanlight moulded cornice above on fluted console brackets.

Listing NGR: SE1698833089

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 16988 33089

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133122 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 10:02:45.

End of official listing