This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRADFORD COLLEGE GROVE BUILDING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRADFORD COLLEGE GROVE BUILDING

List entry Number: 1133143

Location

BRADFORD COLLEGE GROVE BUILDING, GREAT HORTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336493

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 GREAT HORTON ROAD BD7 (south-east side)

Bradford College, Grove Building SE 1532 45/551

II

2. Formerly the Mannville New Connection chapel built in 1877 to the designs of Hill and Swann, a Leeds practice. Large sandstone ashlar chapel with elaborate Italianate- debased neo classical detail. Two-storey 5 bay front raised in semi-basement due to sloping site. Rusticated and panelled quoin pilasters, coupled and single plain pilasters articulating 3 central bays on first floor. Panelled frieze and heavy dentilled cornice. Above centre and supported by large inverted consoles set against parapet is an open pedimented gable with antifixae and anthemion crowning. Flanking bays have balustraded parapet with vase capping to terminal dies. Portico entrance of 6 Composite columns, outer ones as pairs, carrying dentil entablature, set at head of broad flight of steps. Round headed windows pilaster framed on first floor. Linked to east is a later, circa 19OO, wing with hip domed tower and segmental pedimented oculi dormers of Beaux Arts derivation. Prominent site balancing the Technical College opposite.

Listing NGR: SE1580132768

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 15801 32768

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133143 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:05:51.

End of official listing