This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY

List entry Number: 1133180

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY AND PRESBYTERY, EAST PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336386

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 EAST PARADE BD1 (east side)

Church of St Mary and Presbytery SE 1733 35/467 SE 1633 SE 37/467

II

2. Roman Catholic. 1874-76. Edward Simpson architect. A large, towerless, Gothic church of sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. Simplified and Early English details. Low shallow buttressed aisles, tall clerestory where the dominant feature of the design occurs in the massive solid butresses rising on a slight curve from the aisle roofs and dividing the clerestory lights in pairs. Lofty slate roof running through over apsidal chancel. Gabled Lady Chapel projects towards street line and the 3-storey gabled presbytery is built on to the east end. A tower was intended but never executed. The height of the clerestory and the chancel arch give a strong vertical emphasis to the interior, enhanced by the lightness of the scissor braced roof trusses. The nave piers have shafts of Irish marble and the whole is roughly pointed, particularly in the sanctuary with its gilded reredos. Corbelled on angel brackets at the spring of the nave arcades are statues of the saints with crocketed canopies above. Plain glass, apart from chancel. St Mary's was built as the Roman Catholic Mother Church of Bradford, principally due to the efforts of Canon John Motler, parish priest 1865-81. Much of the construction was carried out by the parishioners themselves.

Listing NGR: SE1700433366

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 17004 33366

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133180 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 09:16:08.

End of official listing