This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

MIDLAND BANK

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MIDLAND BANK

List entry Number: 1133211

Location

34, KIRKGATE
MIDLAND BANK, DARLEY STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 336366

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 DARLEY STREET BDl (east side)

No 2

SE 1633 SW 36/452 (Midland Bank)

II*

2. Includes No 34 Kirkgate. Corner site with Kirkgate. Built in 1858 for the Bradford Banking Company; designed by Andrews and Delanney, this is the first of the prestige banking premises in Bradford. Boldly modelled Italianate elevations of high quality stone masonry. The ground floor has vermiculated banding to ashlar with recessed joints, rising up to moulded impost string which creates the effect of piers between the windows, the arches of which have alternately vermiculated voussoirs. A bracketed cornice runs across the ground floor and around the curved corner and is surmounted by an applied parapet, with balustrading in front of the first floor Windows, and projecting dies bearing giant engaged Corinthian columns articulating the first floor and doubled flanking the curved corner. The elevation is crowned by a bold cornice and frieze, breaking in line with the columns, and a balustraded parapet articulated by dies. The ground floor windows are a modified Serlian type contained within the main rusticated arches. The main doorway on the corner is treated in a similar fashion but with a blind tympanum ornamental with a carved shield. The first floor windows to Kirkgate have flanking pilasters and arched segmental pediments. Those to corner and on Darley Street have flanking lights, the corner one with engaged columns instead of pilasters. At a later date a second floor was inserted with windows breaking through the segmental pediments. The last 2 bays on Darley Street are a matching extension of the same date as the latter alteration. The banking hall has a very fine enriched plaster compartmented ceiling carried on marble shafted gilded Corinthian columns, with pilasters to the walls.

Listing NGR: SE1635233219

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 16345 33210

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133211 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:36:32.

End of official listing