TOILS FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133337

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1985

Statutory Address: TOILS FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN, OTLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOILS FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133337 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 11:33:25.

Location

Statutory Address: TOILS FARMHOUSE AND ATTACHED BARN, OTLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 12632 41573

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE14SW BINGLEY OTLEY ROAD SE126416 (west side of)Lane Head

2/106 Toils Farmhouse and attached barn

II

Wrongly marked Middle Farm on O. S. maps. Laithe-house. c1770. Hammer-dressed stone, dressed quoins, stone slate roof. 2 storeys. 5-bay barn to left of 2-cell central baffle-entry house. House: doorway with monolithic jambs has cyma-moulded surround which rises to form false ogee lintel; single-light window above has similar surround with false-arched lintel. To either side on both floors a 3-light flat-faced mullioned window with recessed mullions with inner chamfer and chamfered surround. Central stack offset from ridge. Barn: segmental-arched cart entry with skewbacks and composite jambs. To left, mistal doorway with monolithic jambs and chamfered surround. Coped gable with kneelers to left. Left bay now part of house. Extension to house, to right, in keeping re-uses original coping and kneelers.

Interior: housebody has fireplace with monolithic jambs and segmental- arched bressumer with incised voussoirs, stop-chamfered spine beams and floor joists with ogee stops. Parlour has similar beamed ceiling. It is recorded that John Wesley stayed here on several visits to the area between preaching in Bingley and Ilkley in 1776. Formerly the window had an engraved piece of glass with a portrait of Wesley and an elegy to death dated 1776. This glass is now preserved in Eldwick Methodist church.

An outbuilding has re-used datestone c1777 the house may be of similar date.

Listing NGR: SE1263241573

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338012

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing