This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

27 AND 27A, STATION ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 27 AND 27A, STATION ROAD

List entry Number: 1133414

Location

27 AND 27A, STATION ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Baildon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1979

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Oct-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 337890

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE1539SE BAILDON STATION ROAD (south side) 12/38 Nos 27 and 27A 23.8.79

GV II

House, sometimes known as Elmfield, now 2 residences. Initialled and dated " JAL 1715 " (John and Anne Lambert). Hammer-dressed stone, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, five 1st-floor windows, added 1st-floor chamber to left. Quoins. Segmental archway to left end. To right of archway is mid-C20 wood and glass extension; blocked doorway with composite jambs the lintel inscribed " WBAD 1593 " (William Baildon). Inserted doorway with wood and glass gabled porch with to either side early C20 tripartite sashed windows. All 1st-floor windows have recessed flat-faced mullions and roll-moulded surrounds of 4 lights, 4 lights, 2 lights (the lintel inscribed with date), 3 lights and 2 lights. Plain gutter brackets, coped gables with kneelers and stacks. 2 other stacks to ridge. Rear has similar windows to front of 2 and 3 lights and two 3-light double-chamfered mullioned windows to 1st floor. Single-storey kitchen wing at right angles has tall gable stack. Right-hand return has 6-light window (blocked) and two 2-light chamfered mullioned windows, one inscribed " DAIRY ". Archway leads from back to front and has 3 stop-chamfered spine beams and floor joists supporting oak floor.

Interior: housebody has segmental-arched fireplace with ogee moulding and scarf-jointed spine beams indicating the former existence of a bressumer and firehood. Chamber above has 2 fine C18 semicircular- arched cupboards with triple keystone and raised and fielded panelled doors which slide sideways into the depth of the wall. A plaster cornice matches that on cupboard. This room,which has inner porch, was probably a lst-floor drawing room. Other rooms retain earlier oak-panelled doors of C16 character.

Listing NGR: SE1579639280

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 15796 39280

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 06:38:41.

End of official listing