PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133487

Date first listed: 20-May-1976

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET, BURLEY IN WHARFEDALE, LS29 7DN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2018 at 05:20:29.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET, BURLEY IN WHARFEDALE, LS29 7DN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Burley

National Grid Reference: SE 17093 46287

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/09/2016

SE 1746 8/112

Burley in Wharfedale MAIN STREET (North Side) LS29 7DN Parish Church of St Mary

GV II Consecrated 1843 after rebuilding. Chancel enlarged, gallery removed and other alterations 1870. Gothic revival of late Georgian style. Coursed rubble. Wide nave without aisles under single roof span with almost flat ceiling. 6 tall lancets with dripmoulds on each side. West tower with flanking porches (lancet window and similar doorway to each). Gabled main west door. Lancet window on each exposed side of tower. Smaller upper stage with miniature flying buttresses from pinnacles of lower stage with louvred lancets and pinacles. Octagonal spire. Chancel has 3-light east window and short lancets north and south. Steep-pitched arched wooden roof. Furnishing simple. Octagonal font of inlaid marble. Victorian stained glass in most windows. Wall memorial to William Maude (d 1588) dedicated 1781.

Burley Lodge, No 2 (Highway Cottage) and Chevin House, Nos 4 to 16 (even), Nos 24 to 30 (even), No 2 Post Office Yard, St Mary's Church, wall around ground south of mill pond (along Main Street and west side of Corn Hill Lane), and the Malt Shovel Hotel form a group .

Listing NGR: SE1709346287

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 337658

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing