This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHAPEL AT BOWLING

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHAPEL AT BOWLING

List entry Number: 1133605

Location

CHAPEL AT BOWLING, SANGSTER WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-May-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 337363

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 13 SE 9/1159

SANGSTER WAY(North end, off)Bowling BD4 Chapel at Bowling

GII Municipal cemetery chapel,disused and boarded up at time of survey.1886.Coursed and ashlar sandstone,graduated green slate roof.One storey,Three by two bays with porch across West end and apsidal east end Gothic revival style.Chamfered plinth offset buttresses between bays,sill band.Porch:side doorways have boarded doors with decorative hinges under pointed arches with hoodmoulds;angle buttresses with gablets flank four two-light windows divided by pilaster which rises through a blind traceried parapet.Chapel itself has cusped two light windows with hoodmoulds which rise in lobes above foiled openings.West gable lit by two,two light windows with cusped and foiled tracery under hoodmoulds which link to form base of a keeled shaft which rises to an empty statue niche;roll moulded gable copings with stone cross.To left is an attached octagonal spirelet.North side has a separtely roofed vestibule with shouldered lintels to door and windows.Chapel apse is lit by single light windows with hoodmoulds;iron cross at apex.

Listing NGR: SE1752130676

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 17521 30676

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133605 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 06:32:17.

End of official listing