DEVERE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1133650

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: 1, AKED STREET

Statutory Address: DEVERE HOUSE, 62, VICAR LANE BD1

Map

Ordnance survey map of DEVERE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 10:50:51.

Location

Statutory Address: 1, AKED STREET

Statutory Address: DEVERE HOUSE, 62, VICAR LANE BD1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SE1677833098

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 VICAR LANE BD1 (south-east side) No 62 (Devere House) SE 1633 SE 37/1150

II* GV

2. Includes No 1 Aked Street. Built in 1871 as an American and Chinese Export Warehouse. Architects Lockwood and Mawson and, with No 63 opposite, their major incursion into the precinct which is otherwise dominated by Eli Milnes. No 62 is a grand commercial palazzo with richly modelled yet carefully proportioned elevations, forming a corner block with Aked Street. Tall dressed sandstone "brick" elevations with ashlar dressings of 5 graded storeys. Seven bays to Vicar Lane, one to splayed corner and 2 to Aked Street with No 1 extending the block in plainer style. The ground floor is arcaded. The piers have battered moulded bases treated as plinth with vermiculated courses, Greek key bands and weathered capping string. Similar string at impost level. Vermiculated console keystones. Blind basement windows with console keys supporting window sills above. Console bracket cornice over ground floor serving as sill course to first floor which is treated as piano nobile. The close set windows have blind baluster panels below sills and are flanked by panelled foliate capped pilasters supporting archivolt arches, carved spandrels and modillioned pediments over. Dentilled sill course to second floor with arcaded windows linked by acanthus leaf impost string, carved tympani, archivolt arches. Similar details to third floor with incised roundels to spandrels. The fourth floor windows have segmental arched eared architrave surrounds. Bed mould to carved console brackets supporting projecting eaves cornice. Office entrance on corner, elaborately decorated with flanking panels carved with vine leaves and surmounted by massive consoles supporting large segmental pediment with carved scrollwork. This surround contains the door proper, flanked by Corinthian columns, large vermiculated voussoirs to blind tympanum containing a boldly carved eagle; festoons are carried across from the consoles of the surround. The waggonway is contained in the wider end bay of the ground floor arcade. The blind basement windows are screened by fine wrought iron grilles of wheel and scroll pattern. Inside, behind corner entrance is the stairwell, octagonal in plan with moulded soffits to treads, cast iron columnar banisters and swept and ramped handrail.

Listing NGR: SE1677833098

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 337279

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing