This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LAW RUSSELL WAREHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LAW RUSSELL WAREHOUSE

List entry Number: 1133652

Location

LAW RUSSELL WAREHOUSE, 63, VICAR LANE BD1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Bradford

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Aug-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 337284

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 VICAR LANE BD1 (south-west side)

No 63 (Law Russell Warehouse) SE 1633 Sll 37/1155

II*

2. A home trade - warehouse designed and built in 1873 by Lockwood and Mawson, with No 62 opposite their major contribution to the "Little Germany" precinct. Steep wedge shaped site with curved elevation to Vicar Lane. Five-storeys and tall basement, sandstone "brick" with ashlar dressings. The splayed corner faces down Vicar Lane and is treated as the principal feature of the design; a tier of double Corinthian columned aedicules framing the doorway and windows above, graded up to the top floor and separated by modillion corniced entablature. Large fluted console brackets to projecting eaves cornice. Stepped attic above surmounted by steep copper dome with iron cresting. Horizontal grooving to flanking side bays returned to front behind aedicules. The first and second floor windows to each face are set in panels and round arched with solid curved pediments on consoles. The third and fourth floors have Venetian windows, elaborately carved spandrels. The doorway and ground floor windows have concave, coffered and rusticated surrounds, verniculation to outer part of voussoirs forming the arches, console keystones. The upper floor levels of the long ranges to Vicar Lane and Field Street are slightly dropped from those on the corner. Arcaded ground floor windows under bracketed cornice. Plain windows on sill bands to upper floors. Console bracketed eaves cornice. Triple, panelled, corniced chimneys. Rising above end of Vicar Lane front is a large belvedere tower with small round-headed windows set in vertical panels, bracketed eaves cornice. The corner contains the main staircase rising full height in an oval well with moulded soffit to treads, ornate cast iron banisters and continuous moulded handrail.

Listing NGR: SE1676033137

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 16760 33137

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133652 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 08:01:13.

End of official listing