IDLE YOUNG MENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION YOUTH COMMUNITY CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1133673

Date first listed: 04-Sep-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Aug-1983

Statutory Address: IDLE YOUNG MENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION YOUTH COMMUNITY CENTRE, TOWN GATE BD10

Map

Ordnance survey map of IDLE YOUNG MENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION YOUTH COMMUNITY CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:52:40.

Location

Statutory Address: IDLE YOUNG MENS CHRISTIAN ASSOCIATION YOUTH COMMUNITY CENTRE, TOWN GATE BD10

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 17671 37941

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5111 TOWN GATE Idle BD10 Idle YMCA Youth and Community Centre (formerly listed as Sunday School) SE 1737 19/76 4.9.52 II*

2. Built as a chapel of ease in 1630 but not consecrated until 1692 and prior to this date used by non-conformist congregations as well, an unusual case. On an island site the chapel is erected on a plain rectangular plan, built of coursed gritstone with plinth and flush quoins. Stone slate roof, coped gable ends with shaped kneelers surmounted by small ball finials. Small square stone bellcot to north-west gable with corbel support, blind arched panels to sides, small crow wing finial. The side windows of the chapel have a domestic character with chamfered mullioned-transomed round-headed lights. The south-east gable has a large window with simple Perpendicular tracery formed by diminishing rows of round-headed lights, a pattern very similar to the Old Bell Chapel at Thornton and Holy Trinity, Low Moor. On east side is a moulted jamb doorway with ogee shaped head dated 1630. The interior has been modernised.

Listing NGR: SE1767137941

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 337239

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing