TOWER TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133792

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: TOWER TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, WAKEFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWER TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 02:01:24.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWER TO OLD CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, WAKEFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 13980 25369

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE WAKEFIELD ROAD, LIGHTCLIFFE SE 12 NW (north side) 1/190 Tower to Old Church of St. Matthew (formerly listed as Old Church 3.1.67 of St Matthew under Lightcliffe) ) II

Tower to former church 1775 by William Mallinson (Halifax). Hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings of square section, sheer to the crown which bears an octagonal arcaded cupola with ball finial. There is a round headed window to the ground floor with circular opening above. In the belfry is stone taken from an earlier church on this site inscribed: 'Deo et Sancto Mattaeo Apostolo Evangelistae Martyri Sacra A. O. DC XXIX D. Wilding, A History of Two Lightcliffe Chapels, Centenary booklet 1979. N. Pevsner, Yorkshire West Riding, (London 1967), p.642. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse (Brighouse 1978), p.17. Illustrated in G. Hepworth, Brighouse its scenery and antiquities (Halifax 1885), p.19.

Listing NGR: SE1398025369

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338927

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hepworth, G, Brighouse its Scenery and Antiquities, (1885), 19
Nortcliffe, D, Buildings of Brighouse, (1978), 17
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 642
Wilding, D , A History of Two Lightcliffe Chapels, (1979)

End of official listing