CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1133829
Date first listed:
03-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, COLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133829.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:45:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, COLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 12478 26926

Details

BRIGHOUSE COLEY ROAD SE 12 NW (east side) 1/69 Church of St. John (formerly listed under Coley) 3.1.67 II

Church. 1816 by William Bradley (Halifax) restored and altered by Hodgson Fowler c.1900. Hammer-dressed stone ashlar dressings. Wide nave of 5 bays and 1 bay of chancel, and west tower. Gothic revival. Buttresses of various types, octagonal to the tower, diagonal to the ends and angled to the nave. Embattled parapet. The nave windows are divided by deep transoms at gallery level into low 3-light windows with trefoil heads to the lights, and above 3-light pointed windows with intersecting tracery. The tower is of 3 tall stages with deepset west doorway and belfry openings which unite the elements of the nave windows. 3-light east window with perpendicular tracery flanked by 2-light windows with 'Y' tracery.

Interior: 5 bay wide-nave with aisles. Arcades.formed by tall slender octagonal fluted columns with moulded capitals and pointed arches. Chancel has 5 panelled slightly canted roof. West gallery has large Royal Coat of Arms set within arch-headed recess. 2 other Royal Coats the latest dated 1820 of George III. Several wall monuments survive from the earlier church include one in stone dated 1727 to the Sharpes of Hipperholme and one in marble to the Simpsons of Hipperholme dated 1765 with long epitaph. Font of similar type to St. Anne's, Southowram (q.v.) 3

Listing NGR: SE1247826926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338817
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11306/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].