CIVIC HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133850

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1994

Statutory Address: 1,3,5,7 AND 9, BRADFORD ROAD

Statutory Address: CIVIC HALL, 2, 4 AND 6, BETHEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CIVIC HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133850 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 07:13:30.

Location

Statutory Address: 1,3,5,7 AND 9, BRADFORD ROAD

Statutory Address: CIVIC HALL, 2, 4 AND 6, BETHEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14658 22831

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 1422 NE BRIGHOUSE

-/6/4 BETHEL STREET (North side) Nos. 2, 4 & 6 Civic Hall

II

the 1st sentence of the description shall be amended to read:-

'Includes Nos. 1, 3, 5, 7, & 9 Bradford Road.'

SE 1422 NE BRIGHOUSE -/6/4 BRADFORD ROAD (West side) 2.12.83 Nos. 1, 3, 5, 7, & 9

II

See under: Nos.2, 4 & 6 Civic Hall BETHEL STREET.

------------------------------------

BRIGHOUSE BETHEL STREET SE 1422 NE (north side) 6/4 Nos. 2, 4 & 6 (Civic Hall)

II

Includes Nos. 3 and 5 Bradford Road. Originally the Town Hall, 1868 by Mallinson and Barber (Halifax), used as a theatre from 1880, a magistrates court from 1898 and a cinema from 1902 to 1959. Opened as a Civic Hall 1968. 1st floor hall with ground floor shops. Set at a splayed angle to front 2 streets. Hammer-dressed stone, with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Bethel Street facade of 3 storeys and 5 symmetrical bays. Ground floor has rusticated bands and 3 segmental arched window openings with joggled voussoirs and vermiculated keystone flanked by semi-circular arched doorways with moulded heads and projecting keystone. Band. 1st floor has 4 sash windows (some of which retain their original 12 panes) with architrave, elliptical arch with keystone, cornice the outer bays are surmounted by pediments over which are circular blind openings with 2-light mullioned windows between with plain surrounds. Band, cornice and blocking course with hipped roof and central stack. Right hand return wall fronting Bradford Road has 2 similar ground floor windows surviving in a 7-bay facade. 2 storeys. 1st floor has sash windows the outer of which retain their glazing of 12 panes set within a blind arcade with semi-circular arches with hoodmould and keystone. Outer bays have shell motif within arch. Between each bay are circles. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse, (Brighouse 1978), p.37.

Listing NGR: SE1465822831

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338766

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nortcliffe, D, Buildings of Brighouse, (1978), 37

End of official listing