TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1133856

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1983

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, BRIGGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 20:09:03.

Location

Statutory Address: TOWN HALL, BRIGGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14511 22794

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE BRIGGATE SE 1422 NE 6/19 Town Hall G.V. II

Town Hall. 1887. By John Lord (Brighouse) winner of a competition. Ashlar, slate roof. 2 storeys. 5 bay symmetrical facade. Plinth, band, cornice balustrade with large clock set within an open pediment c.1912. Doorway has architrave, pilasters square lintel, apron inscribed 'PUBLIC OFFICES', cornice. Plain windows to ground floor are set within broad banded pilasters. Windows to first floor have cornice supported on consoles, the central of which has curved pediment.

Interior: Council chamber occupies 1st floor has highly decorative plaster cornice and ceiling. Chairmans chair has carved reredos behind with canopy over with pediment and drop finials. The rest of council benching has been removed to form meeting room with modern mobile seating. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse, (Brighouse 1978), p. 40.

Listing NGR: SE1451122794

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338778

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nortcliffe, D, Buildings of Brighouse, (1978), 40

End of official listing