This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FUTHER EDUCATION CENTRE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FUTHER EDUCATION CENTRE

List entry Number: 1133865

Location

FUTHER EDUCATION CENTRE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Dec-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338799

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE CHURCH LANE, BRIGHOUSE SE 12 SW 3/50 Further Education Centre

G.V. II

Further Education Centre, formerly St. Martin's Secondary Modern School. 1835 with additions of 1861. Single storey. Gothic Revival. Earliest range has gable end fronting lane with plinth and triple lancet window of Early English type with hoodmould with decorative stops. Quatrefoil attic light. Coped gable with clasping buttresses. Left hand return wall has entry under low gable with pointed arched doorway flanked by buttresses, and with inscribed stone set within a shield. Right hand return wall has 7 bays of windows with pointed arches, stone gutter and one lateral stack. Attached is another long range of similar character dated 1865 in slightly higher gable. 1st 2 bays have triple lancets then a further 7 bays of pointed arched windows. Attached at right angles is another range forming 2 sides of a quadrangle. The inner court, has matching entry at the junction of the 2 ranges and attached 2-storey masters house of similar character, now forming office accommodation.

Interior: preserves open hall with decorative queen post roof with drop finials and braces, and large board with arched head recording the subscribers to the extension of the School and the Schoolmaster's House-erected in 1861 at a cost of £1,327.16.11. D. Nortcliffe, Buildings of Brighouse (Brighouse 1978), p.32.

Listing NGR: SE1439123040

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Nortcliffe, D, Buildings of Brighouse, (1978), 32

National Grid Reference: SE 14391 23040

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133865 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2018 at 07:17:28.

End of official listing