This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST ANNE IN THE GROVE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE IN THE GROVE

List entry Number: 1133866

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE IN THE GROVE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Dec-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338803

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRIGHOUSE CHURCH LANE, SOUTHOWRAM SE 12 SW (north side) 3/54 Church of St. Anne in the Grove (formerly listed as 3.1.67 Church of St Anne under Southowram) II

Church. 1815 by Thomas Taylor of Leeds with later chancel. West tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses has arched headed belfry openings with 'Y' tracery, embattled with crocket pinnacles. 5-bay nave with arched headed windows is embattled with buttresses to each bay. l-bay chancel is buttressed and is embattled. Nave windows to south side of outer bays have 'Y' tracery to inner Geometric of 2 lights, to north side all have 'Y' tracery.

Wide bare interior. Arch braced roof rising from corbels sealed along line of rafters and collar. West gallery. Baptistry to North is semi-octagonal with ribbed coved roof and stained glass windows. Chancel pointed arch flanked by arched openings that to left to vestry that to right forming small chapel with just room for altar. Chancel has flat panelled roof and organ gallery.

Furnishings; carved stone reredos, stone pulpit with marble columns and brass handrail and balustrading. Carved font with cover to baptistry, one other under west tower (probably original). Stained glass windows to south side, 3 by Ward and Hughes 1909 - 1922. Brass openwork lectern and choir stalls.

Listing NGR: SE1203823666

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 12038 23666

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1133866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 12:03:10.

End of official listing