This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PROVIDENCE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PROVIDENCE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

List entry Number: 1134000

Location

PROVIDENCE UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, BEESTONLEY LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1982

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338428

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLAND BEESTONLEY LANE SE 073193 (east side) 5/4 Providence United Reformed Church 29.4.82 II

Dated 1814, prominently sited hillside chapel of considerable size. Pediment gabled 3-bay front of 2 storeys and basement. With 7-bay, full 3-storey, sides (due to slope). Hammer-dressed stone with ashlar trim. The tall entrance front giving on to terraced burial ground, has ashlar plinth and sill bands and plain band defining the pediment flanked by blocking dies. Ashlar well lettered date plaque. The first floor windows take the form of fan glazed lunettes. The ground floor has 2 simple squared jamb windows and 2 squared jamb gallery staircase doors flanking the main entrance. The latter given more importance in the later Cl9 with an ashlar pilastered frame with the cornice of the entablature raised as pediment over centre. The plain side elevations have squared jamb windows to lower and ground floors, with rounded heads on top floor; block brackets to eaves cornice of slate roof. Interior retains original gallery, extended right round to organ and choir loft, on cast iron columns, but fittings otherwise sumptuously renewed c.1880 all in fine quality pine including 1886 organ. The ceiling however remains unaltered with deeply but delicately modelled acanthus leaf rose-vent to centre. Good wall tablet to John Eblroyd of Stainland c.1819. Hall, Sunday School and vestry rooms etc in lower ground floor.

Listing NGR: SE0735019303

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 07350 19303

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134000 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 03:54:52.

End of official listing