CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134006

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CALDER STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134006 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 15:35:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, CALDER STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 09805 21261

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLAND CALDER STREET SE 098212 West Vale 1/18 Church of St John the Evangelist

II

188O by T. Rushforth. In a mixed Romanesque and Gothic style. Hammer-dressed stone, with sandstone dressings, slate roof. Nave and chancel roofed continuously with lean-to aisles and south west porch under tower. The exterior treatment is very simple with small round arched windows to aisles and clerestorey. East window of 3 lancets, Tower of 3 tall stages with clasping buttresses terminating in octagonal pinnacles. Short octagonal stone spire. The treatment of the first 2 stages is Romanesque but the belfry windows are Gothic of 2-lights. The inner and outer doorways of the porch are rich Romanesque designs, the outer with chevron, the inner with beak-head ornament. The doors have ornamental hinges.

Interior: Nave of 4 bays with moulded semi-circular arches springing from round piers with attached colonnettes. Heavily moulded round chancel arch enriched with dogtooth. Stone reredos of Gothic form carved with the Lord's Prayer, the Creed, and the Ten Commandments. East window with scenes from the Life of Christ. Open roof with arched-braced collars. The capitals throughout the Church are skilfully carved with gripping beasts, foliage etc. Furnishings include delicate wrought-iron screen, square font of blackstone (imitating Tournai marble) on 4 colonnettes with waterleaf capitals. J. H. Marshall, 'A short history of the church in West Vale', (Elland 1903).

Listing NGR: SE0980521261

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338442

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Marshall, J H, A Short History of the Church in West Vale, (1903)

End of official listing