This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

55 AND 57, ELLAND LANE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 55 AND 57, ELLAND LANE

List entry Number: 1134012

Location

55 AND 57, ELLAND LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Calderdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1975

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Jun-1983

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 338455

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ELLAND ELLAND LANE SE 117213 (north side) 2/31 Nos. 55 and 57 (formerly listed as 17.10.75 Old Earth Farmhouse)

II

House, dated 1700 with stone walls (rendered), stone slate roof, coped gables with kneelers and finials. 2 storeys. It had a linear plan of 3 cells with an outshut at the rear. The south front is rendered. The fenestration survives virtually intact. All windows have recessed, splayed mullions with square reveals. The central hall window is of 6 lights and is flanked by windows of 5 lights with the same at first floor level. A square section hoodmould runs over the ground floor windows and rises to include the lintel of the main doorway. The doorway has chamfered jambs and a four-centred head, and the lintel has a decorative panel with the initials TB and the date 1700 enclosed within an oval. The door opens into the housebody at the opposite end to the fireplace which has a four-centred head and a chamfered surround. The parlour is at the west end approached through the housebody. The eastern room has a fireplace on the gable wall contained within an extruded stack. At the rear of the house is an outshut now garages. Rear appears to be rebuilt mid C20.

Listing NGR: SE1169521302

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 11695 21302

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134012 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 08:45:33.

End of official listing