FONT IN GRAVEYARD APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134124

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: FONT IN GRAVEYARD APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FONT IN GRAVEYARD APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 12:24:47.

Location

Statutory Address: FONT IN GRAVEYARD APPROXIMATELY 12 METRES TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Haworth, Cross Roads and Stanbury

National Grid Reference: SE 02993 37195

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEIGHLEY CHURCH STREET SE 0237 and SE 0337 (south side) 21/33 Haworth

Font in graveyard approxi- mately 12 metres to south of Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II

Font. Dated 1742. Ashlar. Squared baluster font with octagonal plinth set on late c18-early C19 tomb slab. The bowl is inscribed on 3 sides 'W Grimshaw/ A B Minister/AD 1742' and on the top 'I indeed have bapt.d/you with water/but He shall bap/tize you with/THE HOLY GHOST'. William Grimshaw (1708-1763) came to Haworth in 1742 as perpetual curate and, having encouraged the growth of Methodism in Haworth, was instrumental in building the Methodist Chapel in 1758 (D C Dews, A History of Methodism in Haworth from 1744, 1981, pp.5-8).

Listing NGR: SE0299337195

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338121

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dews, D C, A History of Methodism in Haworth from 1744, (1981), 5-8

End of official listing