AIREWORTH MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134145

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1986

Statutory Address: AIREWORTH MILL, AIREWORTH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of AIREWORTH MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134145 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:27:54.

Location

Statutory Address: AIREWORTH MILL, AIREWORTH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bradford (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Keighley

National Grid Reference: SE 07261 41945

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

KEIGHLEY AIREWORTH ROAD SE 04 SE (west side) 5/1 Aireworth Mill II

Mill. Late C18-early C19 and slightly later. Coursed stone, stone slate and Welsh slate roofs. Main range 3 storeys, 13 bays to left with taller, 6-bay section added to right, all windows with glazing bars, stone cills and lintels. Left-hand section has bricked up arch with voussoirs on right, with 2 doors to its left. Rear has loading bays and semicircular stair tower with curved windows with glazing bars and embattled parapet. Right return has clock in architrave to gable. In front and to left of this range is engine house with round-arched, voussoired doorway with impost band and keyed oculus and hoist above. Ashlar coping. Left return brick. Both returns with shaped gutter brackets on table. Tall, tapering, octagonal chimney. Disused at time of resurvey. In 1790 the mill was used by John Greenwood for cotton spinning. Greenwood and his son soon afterwards built Vale Mill, Vale Mill Lane (Hodgson, pp.218-9). J Hodgson, Textile Manufacture in Keighley, 1879.

Listing NGR: SE0726141945

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 338086

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hodgson, J, Textile Manufacture in Keighley, (1879), 218-9

End of official listing