Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134167.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 23:00:09.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 14473 16884


JOHN WILLIAM STREET 1. 5113 (East Side) Lion Buildings SE 1416 NW 1/65 II* GV 2. 1853. Architect J P Postchett. Ashlar sandstone. Hipped slate roof. 3 storeys. Composed with rounded and pavilions, central pavilion breaking forward and a central frontispiece. This has coupled columns on each floor (attached Tuscan on ground floor, detached composite above), taking pediment and parapet with entablature, paired pilasters, and giant free-standing coade stone statue of lion by Seeley. The corners of each pavilion are marked on 1st floor by paired attached composite columns (outer ones square), as is the central pavilion alone on the 2nd floor also. The 1st floor also has paired attached composite columns in middle of wall between each pavilion, and 2 single columns spaced regularly round curve of end pavilions. On St Peter's Street elevation there are 3 pairs of Tuscan pilasters, one at corner with Wood Street and 2 others flanking central group of windows. Ground floor has modern shopfronts separated by rusticated and vermiculated pilasters, arched central doorway with moulded voussoirs and imposts, and keystone with dragon and crown inscribed. Dentilled cornice. On Northumberland Street elevation a mezzanine is inserted below ground floor cornice, consisting of sashes framed by Tuscan pilasters according to the following rhythm: major pilaster-3-major pilaster-1-minor pilaster-1-minor pilaster-1-major pilaster-3-major pilaster. 1st foor has full entablature which breaks forward and is dentilled over each pair of columns, and the windows of the frontispiece are provided with a stone balcony on paired scrolled consoles. Windows are round-arched sashes with moulded voussoirs, and are separated by Ionic colonnettes: they are grouped in the following rhythm, Northumberland Street elevation: 1-1-1-2 (crowned by pediment) -1-1-1. End pavilion: 2-3-2. St George's Square elevation: 4-4. Central pavilion: 4-3 (central one slightly wider and higher) -4. St George's Square elevation (cont): 4-4. End pavilion: 2-3-2. St Peter's elevation: 2-1-2-1-2. 2nd floor has modillioned entablature, save at end pavilions where modillions become consoles. Fenestration is same as 1st floor, save on St George's Square elevation where grouping is as follows: 2-1-2-2-1-2-2-1-2. Some semblance of order is given to this otherwise chaotic design, but only above the eaves cornice. Here the end pavilions have a solid parapet with cornice (inscribed "Lion Arcade" in relief), piers with ornamental caps and huge flanking ornamental scrolls, while central pavilion has balustrade with moulded rail, pairs of square Tuscan columns with ornamental caps at ends, and square Ionic balusters. Over the frontispiece comes the parapet with "1853" in relief and the lion on top.

Listing NGR: SE1447316884


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05460/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].