GLEDHOLT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134243

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1978

Statutory Address: GLEDHOLT, GLEDHOLT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GLEDHOLT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134243 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:28:00.

Location

Statutory Address: GLEDHOLT, GLEDHOLT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 13275 16701

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GLEDHOLT ROAD 1. 5113 (West Side) Gledholt SE 1316 33/566 II 2. Of mediaeval origin, but little earlier than 1720 is apparently visible. Altered in late C18 or early C19, mid C19, and 1923. Rendered. Hipped stone slate roof. 2 storeys. Stone brackets to gutter. L-shaped plan. On the entrance side, ground floor of south block, and both floors of west block are apparently of 1720, although there is an extension of 3 ranges of sashes with glazing bars to east of south block. This has, on ground floor, from left to right; one 4-light stone mullioned window in double stepped surround, with chamfered mullions and close-set glazing bars; then an ashlar doorframe with 4-centred chamfered arch inscribed "I W E 1720" (for John and Ellen Wilkinson); then one 2-light stone mullioned sash with chamfered surround; then one 4-light stone mullioned window in double-stepped surround with chamfered mullions and close-set glazing bars. Stringcourse above. 1st floor has one round-arched stair window with glazing bars, one sash with glazing bars, one sash, one tripartite stone mullioned sash with glazing bars. Porch of circa 1920. West block has five 2-light stone mullioned casements with glazing bars on 1st floor, and on ground floor, one door with stone mullioned fanlight with glazing bars, then 2 mullioned and transomed crosses with glazing bars, then one 2-plus-2 light stone mullioned window, then one door with 6 sunk panels. Mid C19 ashlar stack, arched in centre, corniced, coped. Extension to north of west block: hammer-dressed stone: probably later C18. Band. 3 ranges of sashes with glazing bars (left hand ground floor one bipartite), of which centre bay breaks forward and is crowned by pediment with oculus in plain raised frame. Door with 6 sunk panels. Garden front regularised in late C18 or early C19. Ashlar. Moulded eaves cornice. Blocking course. 8 ranges of sashes with glazing bars in plain raised surrounds; central 1st floor sash has moulded surround. Door below it has frame with Tuscan half columns and segmental pediment. Ground floor has fretwork verandah. One door at south end with 6 panels, 4 fielded. Interior: Dining room has C17 oak panelling and good late C18 iron and brass grate with blue and white Delft tiles. Very large chamfered beams. Most interiors belong to the period of alterations in 1923, when they were executed by Messrs Libertys. History. The house was held by the Gledholts from the C13 until the C16, when it passed to the Hirsts. In 1686 the Hirsts sold it to Matthew Wilkinson of Greenhead Hall. His son John Wilkinson married Ellen Townley, daughter of John Townley of Newhouse Hall, and it is probably they who are responsible for much of the rebuilding of the house. From 1852 to 1868 it was occupied by T P Crosland, MP for Huddersfield (1865-8).

Listing NGR: SE1331016732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339896

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing