This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LINDLEY METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LINDLEY METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1134287

Location

LINDLEY METHODIST CHURCH, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Kirklees

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 339798

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST STREET 1. 5113 (North Side) Lindley Lindley Methodist Church SE 1118 20/470 II 2. 1867. Chancel, vestry and "north-east" transept designed by the Manchester architect Edgar Wood, and built in 1895. Hammer-dressed stone. Pitched slate roof. Hall church, with "west" transept surmounted by low tower with pyramidal slate roof and finial on "south" side. 6-bay nave. Buttresses, with gabled tops at west end. 2 storey "west" end, string at eaves level. 1st floor has windows with Geometrical bar tracery, 4-light to nave, 2-light to tower: oculi above each. Ground floor has central 2-centred door with hoodmould, moulded surround and plate cusps, 2 pointed lancets with Geometrical plate tracery, and 2 blocked doors either side, with segment-shaped Caernarvon lintels and 2-centred moulded relieving arches with hoodmoulds. Aisle windows have transoms and bar tracery. "East" window has late C19 Decorated bar tracery, and reset, the date stone of the original 1795 church, inscribed (in lettering characteristic of each period) "The Wesleyan Church. Anno Domini 1795. Re-erected 1867. Chancel 1895". Edgar Wood had married into the Sykes family of Lindley, whose church this was.

Listing NGR: SE1186618505

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 11866 18505

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134287 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 02:55:37.

End of official listing