SWAMP COTTAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1134449

Date first listed: 19-Jul-1988

Statutory Address: SWAMP COTTAGE, STYES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWAMP COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1134449 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 01:46:46.

Location

Statutory Address: SWAMP COTTAGE, STYES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 03708 23992

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE STYES LANE SE 0223 & SE 0323 (west side, off) 11/250 Swamp Cottage - II Water-powered mill, probably with cottage, now all one house. Probably 1805 (date of penny found in roof construction). Coursed, squared millstone grit, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 lst-floor windows. Quoins. Door on right has tie-stones. Flat-faced mul1ion windows, on ground floor of 4 and 8 lights (1 light blocked), on lst floor of 2, 4 and 2 lights; many of the mullions replaced (from elsewhere in the building). Ridge stack to left of centre. Rear: wheel chamber on left, single-storeyed with gabled roof replaced by glazed pent roof (tablestones of original roof in wall). 1st floor: above wheel-chamber two 2-light windows and one of 1 light. Centrel door, now glazed, which formerly led on to bridge across sluice. To right, a 2-light window. Left return: on right 2 plain-stone-surround doorways, now glazed. On their left a 2-light window. 4-light window above. Right return: a 4-light window to ground floor with two 2-light windows above, all with replaced concrete mullions. Interior: central room has stone fireplace with deep lintel; same to room above. Cross beams. This was one of the early textile mills of the area. At the back of the house is a channel, formerly the sluice; in the garden are the pond, which provided the head of water, and the overflow channel. The building was converted to 2 cottages in 1880 (deeds), probably at the time of building a new mill lower down the hillside (on the mill pond).

Listing NGR: SE0370823992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 339382

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing